On our way home from Wimberley, we stopped in Austin for two specific reasons. The first reason is because of a little show on Food Network called "Throwdown with Bobby Flay."

The premise of this show (for all you suckers out there who don't watch food network) is that Bobby Flay challenges people who make the best of something to a throwdown. On one particular episode, he goes to Austin to challenge two women who make crepes from a place called Flip Happy Crepes. When I watched it, I tucked it in the back of my mind for some occasion where we might be in Austin.

I've never had crepes before, but I wanted to try this place out if it was on Throwdown. So, I got vague directions and Clark and I exited I-35N on a mission. We drove around for awhile before getting close to where the "restaurant" is supposed to be. Clark started questioning me on what it looked like, so I told him its not exactly a restaurant...



That's right! It's an Airstream RV! With TV trays and folding chairs out front! It was awesome! So worth the driving around Austin to find. We got one savory crepe (with roasted chicken, caramelized onions, and goat cheese) and one sweet crepe (with vanilla pastry cream and fresh berries with a berry sauce). Yuummmmm...



Oh, the second reason we stopped in Austin was to find Mandola's Italian Market. One of the owners of Carabba's opened this restaurant/grocery of Italian goods. We thought it would be cooler than it actually was, though. We just got some gelato and went on our merry way back to I-35N.

3 comments:

I love crepes so I will have to keep that in mind next time we are in Austin. Sam would totally get into it.

Wednesday, 20 February, 2008  

you've officially gotten me wanting a trip. with philip. anywhere. any ideas? (ideally beautiful, cozy, something to do, nature to explore, and not TOO far from abilene...)

Thursday, 21 February, 2008  

How was the birthday party?!

Tuesday, 26 February, 2008  

Newer Post Older Post Home