But it really made me desire to want to to believe and trust that God could, would, and wanted to answer prayer. This might sound strange because a lot of y'all know that I love to pray and feel burdened to pray for others. But it seems like when it comes to my own life, there is always this sense of distrust or uncertainty when I pray. But reading this book paved the way for the Holy Spirit to change that in my heart and mind.
Hmmm..I'm kind of having that sense that I was just a little too vulnerable... awkward!
I guess I'd just encourage y'all to think about your own ways of praying and what you believe when you pray. Do you believe God is listening, that He wants to hear you, that He wants to answer you? Do you want to know His answer?
Let me know what you think...
Last Saturday we took the kids to the Flower Mound Pumpkin Patch. We met my older sister and her three kiddos. I really like this pumpkin patch, but oh boy! It was so busy and crowded. We really weren't able to get photos of each kid like we wanted, but it was still really fun. I'm hoping Clark will get some sleep tonight on call and we can go in the morning. So there may be a "Take Two."
I apologize to all of you who were checking the blog until late last night holding out hope that my second Monday Musing would be posted. Clark was post-call so asleep most of the day in our room where the computer is. But, TA-DA, here it is:
I was watching Extreme Home Makeover on Sunday night, and they were building a house for a family who has four members suffering from a chronic illness. The mother and all three of her daughters have it, causing them each lots of pain and multiple other symptoms. The oldest daughter has even had multiple surgeries. Because their family was so affected by the disease and because it can be difficult to diagnose, they started a support group for others. It really was an amazing show. But at one point the mother was talking and she said that she wakes up every day thinking to herself, "Who needs me today? Who can I help today?"
Here is a woman in constant pain living in an old chicken coop with three daughters, and each day she chooses to focus on being a help to others. I was so convicted! I wake up most days thinking, "How is Andrew going to act today? What are the chances Clark will be home semi-early?"
How much better would my outlook on life and my circumstances be if I spent my energies and thoughts on others - my family, my friends, people I don't even know but who are suffering? And not even that, but isn't this what part of the Gospel and living life as a believer in Jesus and his way of life is about? Serving others instead of yourself.
I hope that I will continue to remember each day to think about who I need to be praying for all day, or who needs an email, or an encouraging card...
Today I'm praying for a friend and her mom and her life plans.
Think about who might need you today.
I couldn't post about the fair (see below) and not include the videos we took of Andrew. He got all hyped up on caffeine and excitement and went nuts! I apologize for the quality b/c it was with our camera and not our camcorder. Also, you may want to turn down your volume. Enjoy!
Clark and I took Andrew to the Fair last Tuesday night. A big thanks to Clark's mom, Grammy, for keeping Corinne while we went. It was so fun and Andrew had a great night. It was fun to be able to focus on just him for a little while and watch as he experienced everything. Also, it was truly a night of forbidden fruits - turkey leg, Tornado Tators, Dr Pepper, cotton candy, ice cream, fried coke... wow! Good times for Andrew. Enjoy the slideshow of pics below!
I've been thinking about trying out a new idea - Monday Musings. Its simple really. On Mondays I'll blog about something I've been musing about and hope you'll comment on it. We'll see how it goes. Especially b/c most of the time I have no clue what day of the week it is!
So for the first musing, I've been thinking a lot about fish. To me, fish are one of the most brilliant ways that God has demonstrated his creativity in His creation. A couple years ago on the day before one of Clark's big medical exams (was it the MCAT, babe?), instead of him spending the whole day cramming more studying in, we went to the Aquarium. It has all of these different tanks with fish and sea life from different regions of the world. I just couldn't stop oooohing and aaaaahing over how amazing the fish were! So many colors, shapes, sizes... it really was so neat. Everytime I think about God's creativity and how creation shouts his praises and displays His glory, I'm reminded of those fish at the Aquarium.
What speaks to you of God's creativity or His creation?
I've been blog tagged by my friend Christy, so here goes...
1. Who is your man? Clark
2. How long have you been married? 5 years this past May 25th
3. How long dated? 4 years
4. How old is your man? 27
5. Who eats more? oooh... probably Clark overall
6. Who said “I love you” first? Me! - after Clark came home from 4 months in Europe
7. Who is taller? Clark
8. Who sings better? um, neither
9. Who is smarter? Clark by far
10. Whose temper is worse? mine
11. Who does the laundry? me, but Clark does his fair share
12. Who takes out the garbage? Clark
13. Who sleeps on the right side of the bed? me
14. Who pays the bills? Clark
15. Who is better with the computer? we're both pretty knowledgeable, but Clark really
16. Who mows the lawn? Clark
17. Who cooks dinner? Usually me, but Clark will help occasionally
18. Who drives when you are together? mostly me b/c I'm a a bad passenger
19. Who pays when you go out? Clark
20. Who is most stubborn? I don't think either of us is that stubborn, but it would depend on the situation
21. Who is the first to admit when they are wrong? Clark
22. Whose parents do you see the most? I'd say its pretty equal
23. Who kissed who first? Clark, on his front porch after my little sister's really crappy junior high play
24. Who asked who out? Clark asked me to go to the mall with him to buy new shoes and then he asked me to prom on the way there...I can still remember every moment...
25. Who proposed? Clark proposed at our favorite restaurant on a dessert plate - its a really funny and sweet story
26. Who is more sensitive? me
27. Who has more friends? um, me I guess
28. Who has more siblings? me - 2 sisters (Clark has 1 bro)
29. Who wears the pants in the family? Clark, but I tend to run our day to day lives
I tag...Alice, Staci, Lindy, Cari (in all her free time), and Kim
he used to ride in this carseat!
I'm a crazy teething baby!
Seriously, no one told me whether or not I can peep toe shoes through the winter???
Call nights... they cause the night owl in me to come out. It's 12:48 am and I'm not sleeping. No, I'm not putting someone into an induced coma and regulating their heart beats and blood pressure during a surgery. That's what Clark is doing tonight.
I'm drinking a vodka tonic (thanks Carolyn) and thinking about shopping for Christmas presents online. After I look at Target's website for shoes. Can I wear peep toe shoes this winter?
I don't know what it is about Clark not being at home. I have a hard time falling asleep when he's not here. I usually have a glass of wine and read a little then drift off. But so far this month I just can't seem to do it. So, here I am in the absolute middle of the night sipping my tasty beverage and typing a totally random post.