Give a dog a bone

The night before last I gave our dog, Hoss, three treats. I felt bad that he had been outside all day, but mostly I was just glad I didn't have to change his diapers, feed him, or rock him to sleep.















Despite what these photos suggest, I am not good at putting my children to sleep early in their life. Corinne is proving to be especially difficult. Clark, however, is a genius at it. He has that special touch, I guess.
Early this morning, around 2 am, when I was trying to suction the huge booger out of Corinne's nose so she could breath and therefore sleep, I heard Andrew in his room. I went to his door and leaned in close so I could hear what he was doing. He was singing, "Down by the bay, where the watermelons grow, back to my home, I dare not go..." He sang it twice and then I swear he said, "Keep singing everybody" to his two bunnies and teddy bear that were in his bed. But no one kept singing, so I guess they all went back to sleep.

Before I went to bed last night, I read a sermon from John Piper about what submission is for a wife and how it works in a marriage. The key points to me were that I am to hope in God, be fearless b/c of this hope in the future He gives me, and adorn myself internally with a quiet and gentle spirit instead of focusing on adorning myself externally. He preaches out of 1 Peter 3:1-7, and sums it up much better than I can:
"Unshakeable hope in God. Courage and fearlessness
in the face of any future. Quiet tranquility of soul.
Humble submission to her husband's leadership."

"Submission is the divine calling of a wife to honor
and affirm her husband's leadership and help carry
it through according to her gifts."

While John Piper mostly gives me tired head, I was really encouraged by this sermon. Most people don't like or agree with the biblical roles of husband and wife, but Piper says it is both covenant keeping and a portraying for the world what the relationship between Christ and Church is to be.

So I have to confess my distrust in God last Friday night when Andrew, Corinne, and I were in the hallway while sirens were going off in Irving due to bad weather. I was definitely not fearless... but I've been encouraged by my role as a wife. And I like that word...
FEARLESS
PS: check out Andrew on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIYZhabSFiw

4 comments:

We should compare notes on little Johnny Piper! I just finished the book "Recovering Biblical Manhood and Womanhood". He's one of the two editors. -a

Wednesday, 18 April, 2007  

I read your blog during a LOST commercial break. I laughed so hard at Andrew saying, "sing it everybody" that Sam had me read it to him and he had a good laugh as well.

Wednesday, 18 April, 2007  

Kim loves it when I tell her to "sing along" at 2a.m. as well...not sure 'bout the bunnies though.
Miss you guys!

Saturday, 21 April, 2007  

I just watched the youtube video of Andrew singing wheels on the bus, and then Kum-bah-ya. that is some funny stuff... i'm glad Andrew is coming right along in his silly songs with Clark... there are some funny memories there. it was great seeing you the other day.

Monday, 23 April, 2007  

Newer Post Older Post Home